The Call – To the Heart of Europe
I need to tell you a story.
But first I need to set the scene. Scott and I took a road trip to Chicago this summer. For me this trip was so important because it represented a reshuffling in my life. That reshuffling was putting travel back on my priority list.
On our third morning in the city, I was sitting in the living room of our Chicago Airbnb answering emails. A notification pupped into my inbox that made my jaw drop. “Hello from Air Canada Vacations”.
I quickly fumbled to open the message thinking what I hoped would be too good to be true. It would probably be a scam like some far off ‘relative’ leaving me a million dollar in their inheritance.
After reading the e-mail about an opportunity to travel to Prague I opened my Instagram to see @aircanadavacations verified account was following me (@belowtheblonde). “Wait?! Is this real life?” Within minutes I was on a call that left me beaming for days.
For a long time I have been shooting travel vlogs whenever possible. Primarily these videos feature my Father who is a pilot. The reason for this is sometimes, if there is room on a flight, I can travel with him on a flight.
I’ve always been so grateful for this work perk of his. It’s lead to many jet setting moments together getting to experience many different cities on a 48 hour layovers.
Other travel vlogs I’ve filmed have been from my own work travels where I’ve made it a habit of taking my YouTube channel audience behind the scenes of location sales shoots. If you’re wondering, this is how Air Canada Vacations found me.
Life Lesson Learned: Work hard. Fill your time with passion projects and put your energy out into the world and keep your channel open for opportunities.
It’s All In The Details
This past August, I traveled with Air Canada Vacations to the Czech Republic to create a vlog about the sites, scenes and feel of Prague. I am now so happy to write about what I learned and saw and share it with you here. Let’s first talk about how you too can have this experience:
Book your vacation here – visit the #PragueYourWay Vacations Page here
Air Canada Vacations – #PragueYourWay
Discover Prague over 9 days and soak up the city’s incredible art, architecture and distinct atmosphere. With two guided tours to get you started and ample time to enjoy Prague at your own pace, you’re sure to fall in love with the magnificent museums, delicious beer and amazing vibe of the city.
What’s Included In Prague Your Way:
- Round-trip flights to Prague (if flight and hotel package option is chosen)
- Private airport transfers in Prague
- 7 nights of accommodation
- 7 breakfasts
- More Moments – 3 activities included:
- Half-day city tour of Prague (English or French-speaking guide)
- Private walking tour of Prague’s Old Town, Jewish quarter and New Town (English or French-speaking guide. Not offered on Saturday)
- 2-day Hop-On Hop-Off pass with multilingual headsets (valid for 48 hours)
- Earn Aeroplan Miles
FULL PRAGUE VLOG – EXPERIENCE PRAGUE WITH ME
Watching this vlog is a great way to experience the trip and jot down some experiences for your next adventure. I have included titles throughout the video to make your planning easy. I believe video is a portal to another place but sometimes you truly just need to see it for yourself. Below you will find some more details and photos from my experience with #PragueYourWay.
What You Need To Know To Book
If you are ready to plan your next adventure here are a few things you should know.
#PragueYourWay is a 7 night and 9 day experience. Booking with Air Canada Vacations included airfare, transfers, accommodation, 7 meals and 3 tours. If you are an Aeroplan® Miles collector, no worries you can do this when booking this trip!
This package is available May 17th to October 30th.
When booking be sure to see what works best for your schedule. Flights to Prague are direct from Toronto Pearson Airport (YYZ) and run according to the following schedule:
- May 17th – October 31st – Wednesday, Friday and Sunday
- June 1st – October 26th – Wednesday, Friday Saturday and Sunday
- June 20th – October 3rd – Every day of the week.
There are two options for accommodations which can alter the price of your package. Note both hotels are located in Prague, Czech Republic. Unless otherwise arranged guests stay in a Standard Room with an occupancy of 2 people.
3 Star: Hotel Ibis Wenceslas Square (or similar)
4 Star: Hotel Adria Prague (or similar) – This is the hotel we stayed in and I can say from experience it was in the perfect location. The Adria Hotel Prague is footsteps from Wenceslas Square in the centre of the city and the building dates back to 1912. Thus, you are going to be starting your trip right in the middle of history.
Prices cary based on your hotel selection however this adventure starts at $1899.00 CAD/person (*Based on pricing details from 2019)
BOOK YOUR VACATION ONLINE HERE
Flights + Hotel Transport
- With Air Canada Vacations you will be making your way to the heart of Europe via Air Canada Rouge. The flight from Toronto to Prague is approximately 8 hours gate to gate. The flight home to Toronto from Prague is actually 9 hours approximately gate to gate.
- Once boarding your flight to Prague it is recommended to attempt to sleep on the way. Your flight will leave around 4:50pm and arrival in Prague at 6:55am (local time). Prague is 6 hours ahead of Toronto, Ontario. An attempted sleep is recommended to help you adjust to this time change. Especially because once you arrive your room may not be available until 3pm local time.
- Don’t forget to download the Air Canada app as it is your passport to multimedia while on the flight. There are no televisions on the back on the seats so this is your portal to pass the time. You will also be able to see the remaining time of the flight through this application.
- Check in 24-hours prior to departure for the opportunity to select your seat preference.
- The inclusion of airport transfers may be one of the best parts of #PragueYourWay with Air Canada Vacations. Let’s be serious here, the moment you step off an 8-9 hour flight you are not going to want to track down a taxi. With transfers included you step off the flight and someone is waiting for you with a sign ready to take you from airport to hotel. This transfer service is also there for you when you have finished your adventure and are ready to head home. #NoBrainer.
What to Pack for Prague in August
- Let’s start with footwear – Prague is almost all cobblestone. Pack flat, comfortable shoes that are made for walking.
- Weather in Prague in August hovers around 21-25°C to a low 12°C in the evenings. I suggest packing layers for the evening and a light jacket for the day. Humidity is typically low but expect over the corse of your trip for there to be a rainy day.
BOOK YOUR VACATION ONLINE HERE
- When booking your tour be sure to indicate English or French. These tours are an incredible way to learn about the layout of Prague.
- If you are an early riser or a late sleeper Air Canada has you covered. The activities/excursions within the #PragueYourWay can be rescheduled to take place earlier or later in the day. This could help you beat some of the crowds by avoiding peak hours. Keep in mind this all depends on availability and operational day.
A Note From Someone Who’s Been In Prague
- Local currency – Czech Crowns
- Credit Cards are accepted at most retailers
- Things will always cost more in the tourist areas. Feel free to shop around for souvenirs.
- Booking a tour guide is a great idea especially if you are going outside the city. English speakers start to decline the further out of the city you travel.
- Prague, Czechia is 6 hours ahead of Toronto, Ontario
- The standard voltage is 230V and the frequency is 50Hz. With the power plugs and sockets being Type E (Europe, Australia and most of Africa and Asia) you will likely need to pack an adaptor.
BOOK YOUR VACATION ONLINE HERE
Transit & Safety
- Like I said in my vlog (https://youtu.be/fcSxxwlTKII) – Be sure to stamp your tram ticket prior to entering the underground tram. Once you have stamped your ticket via the yellow machines before the gates it will be valid for 30 minutes. This will give you enough time to get from A to B safely. (Above ground trams have these ticket stamper machines on the vehicle.)
- Keep an eye out for the above ground trams when walking around the city. Because of the physics of these machines they CANNOT STOP for you if you get in the way. This kills people every year. Just be aware and you will be safe!
- Traveling around by foot? Great! Prague is a beautiful city to walk around. However, REMEMBER YOUR COMFORTABLE SHOES. No stilettos honey. The streets are almost 100% cobblestone. Avoid the high ankle sprain and being comfortable, flat shoes.
- The streets are wonderfully clean. Be a responsible tourist and clean up after yourself.
- As a woman traveling I never felt unsafe in walking around this city. I woke up early in the morning and was one of the only people on the streets. Just always pack your commonsense and awareness.
- Okay ladies get in formation – backpacks in front! Unfortunately pickpocketing is more common than not. Be smart in high traffic touristy areas and keep that backpack on your front. Only carry what you need (money, camera equipment, valuables) on a day to day.
- Land lock your passport and use the safe in your hotel room! No stress travel.
Start The Music, These Are My Final Thoughts
Some of my favorite adventures start with wandering around a city with no real plan. Prague is the perfect city to wander. Around each and every corner there is something to be seen and appreciated.
Things I Think You Would Love (Everything you will see in my Vlog!)
- Discovering Old Town, New Town and Lesser Town on a Tour
- Crossing Charles Bridge
- Hear the Astronomical Clock Strike a New Hour
- Have a Traditional Czech Meal
- Drink a Beer from Prague and People Watch
- Learning about the Jewish Quarter
- Take a Boat Tour Down the River
- See Prague From a Rooftop
- Indulge in a Treat Downtown
- Explore Bohemian Paradise (Full Day Tour)
- Live in the Moment (That one is for anytime really)
BOOK YOUR VACATION ONLINE HERE
“Travel isn’t always pretty. It isn’t always comfortable. Sometimes it hurts, it even breaks your heart. But that’s okay. The journey changes you; it should change you. It leaves marks on your memory, on your consciousness, on your heart, and on your body. You take something with you. Hopefully, you leave something good behind.”Anthony Bourdain
Happy Travels to You! Looks like we just planned your next adventure!