Secrets Akumal Riviera Maya Hotel Review
Right before the holiday break one of my best girlfriends, Sarah, and I packed our bags and traveled south with Air Canada Vacations to check out Secrets Akumal Riviera Maya. There was so much to love about this resort but I want to break it down for you piece by piece.
Booking a vacation shouldn’t be a taxing process. Booking a vacation should be exciting and dare I say, easy! Gone are the days of leafing through endless travel booklets with the hopes of picking a hotel good enough for your annual escape. Now we can dig a little deeper and source honest reviews and point of view videos to assist us before pressing the purchase button. I plan to do just that — lets get into it.
Visit Air Canada Vacations or contact your travel agent to book your vacation to the Secrets Akumal Riviera Maya.
Traveling to Mexico with Air Canada Vacations
The travel process was made so much easier because we were flying and planning with Air Canada Vacations. Here are some things that are important to know when booking through Air Canada Vacations.
- Daily non-stop flights to Cancun from Toronto between December and April. This makes it easy to fit any length of vacation into your schedule.
- Vacation packages booked with Air Canada Vacations to Mexico and the Caribbean
include 1 complimentary checked bag per person as well as transfers to and from the
airport while in destination.
- The ability to earn Aeroplan Miles and redeem your Aeroplan Miles towards your
- Secrets Akumal is part of Air Canada Vacations Spa Collection and is an Adults Only (18+) hotel.
- Checkout the vacation package I experienced HERE
What is Secrets Akumal Riviera Maya Known For?
Secrets Akumal Riviera Maya is known for their spa services. While on the resort Sarah and I partook in a 25 minute relaxing massage and the hydro therapy pools. As soon as you walk into the spa you are greeted by friendly staff and a refreshing scent throughout the facilities. If you have a spa service booked you are able to indulge in the hydro therapy pools, sauna, steam room, meditation room and more. There are refreshments and water stations all around the spa for you to enjoy.
Spotlight Collection: Your vacation is the harmony of mind, body and spirit with these resorts that offer daily activities like yoga and medication, and have the latest in spa and gym facilities.
Overall Impressions of Secrets Akumal Riviera Maya
As soon Sarah and I arrived on the property we were immediately impressed with the size of the resort. The overall layout is not daunting and even at capacity does not feel full. Everything you need is within walking distance. I don’t know if you’ve ever been on a resort that requires a trolly pick-up but this is a huge plus not needing this service.
One of the nicest things about this resort for us was the fact that you didn’t have to wear a wristband. The only thing you would have to do is provide the hostess or host your last name and room number at the restaurants.
Personal Review Breakdown
Food is one of the, if not the most important part of booking a vacation. A Secrets Akumal there are six gourmet á la carte restaurants, a grill, a buffet and a café where reservations are never required. There is also a 24-hour dining option for late night bites and refreshments at the Coco Café. It is also great to know room service is an option any hour day or night.
- The only restaurant you need a reservation at is the teppanyaki restaurant (Himitsu). You can make this reservation with your concierge as every building has their own concierge.
- Yes there are gluten-free options and vegetarian options available and every menu will have this distinctively labeled.
- Each restaurant is uniquely decorated according to the style ie. Italian, French, Mexican etc.
- Personally I loved the feel of the á la carte dining because it felt a bit more intimate. This resort is beautifully romantic and the dining certainly sets the scene to dress up and indulge.
- If you are looking for more of a lively vibe for dinner there are nightly buffets with accompanying entertainment. This is a great way to grab dinner quickly and meet some other people from around the resort. If you purchase a bottle of wine you can sit by the pool in a two seater table. However, if you would like to forgo the extra expense you can join the community tables set up and dine with fellow vacationers. We loved meeting people and the themes night to night of the food and entertainment. Every seat is a great seat for whatever entertainment they have organized that night.
- I never felt like I was sick of the food options. The breakfast at the market café (international buffet) had so many options. From the omelette station to the wrap around serving stations you are sure to find something you love to kick start your day. Pro Tip: the cinnamon buns are at the back!
Size of Resort
The size of the resort is one of the first things I talk about when someone asks me about my experience. I can’t say enough about the size of this resort. If I was going to explain it in terms I think everyone can grab onto I would say it was Goldilocks size. Not too big. Not too small. Just right!
There are technically 9 different buildings you could be staying in around the resort. There are also three pools: one quiet pool and two activity pools with water aerobics, team sports, relaxation spots etc. Both pool areas have their own food options close for your comfort and east.
The Room (We had a Junior Suite with a Swim Out)
Secrets Akumal Riviera Maya boasts a total of 434 smoke-free suites, many offering majestic ocean views, all staggered for optimal views of the exotic landscape, pools and ocean. Each private sanctuary is appointed with a fresh interpretation of Mexican art including Huipil and Reboz from Oaxaca and La Huasteca style embroidery with Mayan gold accents. Each luxurious suite is fully equipped with a king-size or two double beds, a private terrace or balcony, in-suite whirlpool for two, complimentary mini-bar and much more.
- King-size bed or two double beds
- Private, furnished balcony or terrace
- Whirlpool for two in every suite
- 24-hour complimentary room service
- Concierge in every building
- Mini-bar refreshed daily with soft drinks, bottled water, juice and beer
- Electronic tablet in-suite (to order room service, spa services, romantic dining reservations and more)
- Complimentary Wi-Fi with Unlimited Connectivity
- 42” satellite TV
- iPod®, iPad® and iPhone® docking station with alarm clock
- Direct dial telephone
- Electric voltage – 110V
- Nespresso® coffee machine
- Air-conditioning with in-room climate control
- Ceiling fan
- Hair dryer
- Iron and ironing board
- Vanity mirror
- Electronic safety deposit box (laptop size)
- *They even have rules to have a small dog come along. On the website there is more about dog friendly rooms and options for travelers who don’t want to leave their four legged friend behind.
- Upper rooms are accessible via elevator
- There are also elevators through the resort if needed
Cleanliness & The Grounds
Our room was always spotless after maid service and upon our arrival. The walkways are also incredibly clean as are all the buildings. The grounds were extremely well maintained and provided incredible coverage for room privacy. One word describes the walkways and that is lush!
There is so much to do at this resort because it is right along Akumal Beach. This means that you don’t need to leave the resort to do a snorkeling excursion because the sea turtles are right off the shores of the beach. Akumal Bay is known for their sea turtles all year long. It was really fun seeing people out with their flippers and we caught wind from many fellow travelers that they were able to spot a few turtles.
If you are a land lover there are many games spread around the resort like life sized chess, beach volleyball and pingpong. The interactive crew also gets people involved in pool competitions and beach volleyball tournaments. Overall there was high energy when it came to the activities!
From the website the activity list includes:
- Snorkeling with sea turtles of Akumal
- Bike tours to the Yal-ku Lagoon
- Meet the Chefs (kitchen tour + appetizer sampling)
- Beach and pool volleyball
- Aqua spin and aerobics
- Archery and rifle shooting
- Classes: cocktail, dance and spanish
- Non-motorized water sports
- Scuba diving tour* and deep sea fishing*
- Beach beds* (Reservation are made on arrival with concierge)
You can elevate your stay by joining the Preferred Club. Through this you have your own separate checkin concierge. You will also have access to The Lounge that holds Top-Shelf liquor bar, snack bar, a seating area with Television and Business Centre.
At the hotel in the Mexican plaza you can find the Theatre. Each night there is a different show that will be posted on the bulletin boards and through your concierge. The theatre has comfortable seating and a bar.
Entertainment is also provided at the buffet options at night.
You will also find Live entertainment throughout your stay down by the pool, in the lobby bar and all around. Sitting at the Lobby Bar having a drink before dinner with the Live music was one of me and Sarah’s favorite moments of the trip.
There is also a nightclub called Desires that offers up a great view, indoor and outdoor seating, a DJ booth and of course a bar.
The gym smelled great, was extremely clean and had a huge variety of equipment. When I was able to check it out there was only two people working out at the time and there seemed to be room for many more. The hotel also runs aqua-aerobics, cross-fit sessions and yoga classes if you are looking to be more active.
On the resort they have a wedding planner with all of the decor options on display. There are also many different options when it comes to location of your ceremony and reception depending on your preference and party size. There is much more information on the website breaking down the wedding specifics including what dates have already been scooped. If you would like to see a look inside of the wedding offices and some of the potential locations I have captured them in my vlog and hotel tour.
If you have any questions about this experience please don’t hesitate to leave a comment! Though this was a partnership I can honestly say Sarah and I had a blast. This resort is beautiful and our travel was truly seamless.
Be sure to check out my hotel video tour as it dives a little deeper into the locations and offerings around the resort!
Thanks for stopping by and happy vacationing!
Check out the vacation package I experienced HERE!